Saturday, November 9, 2013

I am woman, hear me rant!

I've been meaning to post this for a while...it's been lying in my drafts awaiting that final read up to make sure my grammar indicates that I at least went to high school

First and foremost I would like to declare that I am a feminist. Anyone who knows me is rolling his/her eyes right now as this is not really a revelation. I've never been quiet about it but there was a point where I didn't want to be called a feminist because of the image it brings to people's minds of unshaven, butch lesbian women throwing dirty looks at men and burning bras because they are 'symbols of our oppression'. I appreciate bras, they allow women to run and drive on rough terrains without wincing and while I do give men the stink eye on occasion I assure you it's only because they deserve it. I'm just tired of the bad rap feminism and feminists have been getting because of a few women whose views don't necessarily represent those of the average modern day woman. Unfortunately I've been told that my views don't really represent those of the average modern day woman either( the actual phrase used was 'please don't speak on behalf of women') so this is just my two cents. 

The idea of this post came to me (look at me sounding like an artist) when my significant other sent me an article about Kim Kardashian being an overlooked symbol of feminism. NO. I say NO to this. She is anything but overlooked. On a serious note though, I don't agree that she's a symbol of feminism. She is an extraordinary businesswoman and a role model for marketers and entrepreneurs but she isn't doing anything women have never done before. She's arguably participating in the oldest trade women are known to engage in. No, not prostitution -people always say its the oldest profession... I think it's farming- but using beauty for social and economical mobility or simply to get what they want. I'm actually of the opinion that the forbidden fruit in the garden of Eden was a banana. Which man is going to say no to a naked woman eating a banana?*looks around for a lighting bolt* I digress, Ms Kardashian isn't doing anything to advance women's rights. She may be a feminist( I'm working on the assumption that all sane women are) but she's not a symbol of feminism.

Then there's all the silliness about the barbie dolls. A section of women are campaigning against barbie dolls claiming that they're giving little girls self-esteem issues. Apparently the dolls give girls unrealistic views of how their bodies are supposed to look. Look, I had teddy bears. I did not feel the need to grow fur and walk on all fours...well...maybe I did pretend to be a bear at some point but I knew that the teddy bear was a toy and that I am human. I played with barbie dolls too and while most of them ended up decapitated for some reason, I don't remember feeling inadequate to this inanimate object or wishing my belly button would disappear. I understand that the social pressure has increased on women to look a certain way but it all boils down to you in the end. As a friend(Duncan you're being quoted, bask in this moment) of mine once told me, there's a reason it's called SELF-esteem. I have a feeling that some women are projecting their insecurities onto their daughters. Teach them how to love themselves not in spite of but because of their differences and they'll be fine. Leave barbie alone.

To me, a true symbol of feminism is a person or a group of people who inspire others to push the boundaries society has set for them. It doesn't have to be on purpose and the symbol doesn't even have to be a woman fighting for women's rights. Wangari Maathai was the first African woman to get a Nobel Peace Prize, she's DEFINITELY a symbol of feminism. She was a pioneer and has motivated not just women but people to care for their environment. Mekatilili wa Menza fought colonialists so hard, they called her a witch. Joan of Arc- though in my opinion mildly insane- led armies. Rosa Parks, Marie Curie, your grandmothers who fought for the right to allow their daughters to go to school, those are the true symbols of feminism. So instead of bashing barbie dolls and men as a true feminist your job is to help other people, not just women, get to where they need to be. 

NB; Men don't feel left out...we'll always need you for spider killing and heavy lifting. Hehe... I kid. We have insect repellent and cranes for that

No comments:

Post a Comment